First, I held the point of the nail to the top of the magnetic field sensor and graphed the magnetic field strength. Once I had this number established, I added coils of wire wrapped around the nail, with the other ends touching the positive/negative ends of the D battery. The magnetic field, theoretically will go up as you wrap more coils around the nail, and mine did, but it didn't jump as much as Bert or I expected.
Making and electromagnet is basically taking electricity (a battery) and a potential magnet (the nail). I ran electricity through the nail, causing it to become more magnetic. After I had done about 8 tests, the nail was magnetic enough for it to pick up a paper clip, although it didn't stay like that for a long time. And I think that the more winds around the nail you have, the larger the magnetic field because the coil generates a magnetic field when electricity is running through it.
Here is my data of the magnetic Field Strength per Number of winds:
Number of Winds Magnetic Field Strength
0 0.021
3 0.029
6 0.029
9 0.03
12 0.032
15 0.097
18* -1.104
21* -1.6
* This was when I changed the wires around and put the opposite ones on opposite sides of the batter, + or -.

I only got to Experiment 1, but over break, I will use this knowledge to build a speaker from the website Bert gave to us:
http://www.josepino.com/circuits/index.php?howto-speaker.jpc
No comments:
Post a Comment