Saturday, December 22, 2007

BODY POWER

I was on school tours for this lab, so I decided to make it up at home because MM said I didn't need any special equipment. Basically, I did some math to find out what my caloric intake as an astronaut would be. We are going to use this in Mission to Mars, because we will be in the pod for four hours, and we will have to decide what foods we need to bring and eat.

First I calculated my Basic Energy Expenditure (BEE) with the equation BEE = 65.5 + 9.6(mass in kilograms) + 1.7(height in centimeters) - 4.7(age in years). My BEE, which means the number of calories my body uses throughout a day for metabolic purposes, was 1910 calories.

Second, I found my Resting Heart Rate (RHR) was 63 beats per minute. Then I found my Maximum Heart Rate (MHR), 144 beats per minute, with the equation MHR = 220 - age in years- RHR. From there I found my Working Heart Rate (WHR) by doing jumping jacks for two minutes, then measured my pulse for twenty seconds, then multiplied by three to get 140 beats per minute.

Next, I had to find what percent of my Maximum Heart Rate I was working at so I could find the number of calories I burned per minute. The percent was 53 %, which means I burned ~3.5 calories per minute dong jumping jacks.

Lastly, I found my Exercise Energy Expenditure (EEE) by multiplying the calories I burned per minute (3.5) by the number of minutes I would exercise (120). If I did jumping jacks for two hours, I would burn 420 calories. From that, I calculated my Daily Energy Expenditure (DEE), 2,330 calories per day, with the equation DEE = BEE + EEE.

So, If I exercise 2 hours a day, I burn about 2,330 calories per day. If I exercise 1 hour a day, I burn 2,120 calories per day. If I don't exercise at all, I burn 1910 calorie per day.

Power, Work, and Horsepower:

Power is measured by the amount of work you can do per second. And Horsepower is defined by the power a horse can steadily produce, I think now, and for this experiment, humans replace horses.

What I did to measure my work, was I ran up the stairs and timed myself from the moment my feet left the ground to the moment that they landed. I used this information in the equation Work = wight (in kilograms) x total height. Weight was determined as the force of gravity, so I had to use the equation F = M(40.5 kilograms) A(9.8 m/s^2) to find my weight. My work is 15,787. From there, I found my Power with he equation Power = work/time. My power was 2957.6 watts. Next I found my horsepower with the my work in watts/746 watts because 1 horsepower is equal to 746 Watts. My horsepower is 3.96.

So I can steadily produce 3.96 horsepower for a sustained period of time.

No comments: